Ibstock plc is headquartered in the village of Ibstock in the East Midlands of England, where its predecessor entity, Ibstock Collieries Ltd, was founded nearly 200 years ago. Each of the Group’s companies are long-established businesses; in addition to Ibstock Brick, Glen-Gery has been operating since 1890, Forticrete since the late 1920s and Supreme since 1979.
Ibstock was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1963. It acquired Glen-Gery in the United States in 1979 and the UK brick operations were expanded by acquiring Tarmac Bricks in 1995, Redland Bricks in 1996 and Hepworth Brick in 1999. Ibstock also acquired certain concrete operations in the 1990s.
In 1999, CRH plc acquired Ibstock. Under CRH’s ownership, the management of Ibstock diversified the clay operations of CRH in Great Britain with the acquisition of Kevington Building Products Ltd in 2001 and Manchester Brick in 2005. The management of Ibstock also expanded CRH’s concrete products operations in Great Britain with the acquisition of Supreme Concrete Ltd and Anderton Concrete Products Ltd in 2006 and 2007, respectively.
In February 2015, Bain Capital acquired Ibstock and its subsidiaries from CRH.
Ibstock re-joined the public markets when it listed on the London Stock Exchange in October 2015.